A family in Union County, Illinois found themselves in a sticky situation — staring down the business end of a SWAT team’s machine guns — after cops mistook their maple syrup for a meth lab.
The raid happened last week when heavily armed drug agents swarmed the home, armed with military-grade weapons and a warrant, based on nothing more than the speculation of bored, nosy neighbors, reports Counter Current News.
Even then, the grass was topped by a fungus very similar to ergot, which for eons has been intertwined in human history, since it grows on the grasses that form most of the diet of the human race, reports David Stauth at Oregon State University.
Ergot, you see, is the precursor of LSD has been variously used as a medicine, as a toxin, and as a hallucinogen. It may even, according to some historians, have been a factor in the Salem Witch Trials.
And since the fossilized grass was 100 million years old, putting it all the way back in the Cretaceous Period, that means huge grass-eating sauropod dinosaurs would likely have been tripping balls on a regular basis. In other animal species, the fungus can cause hallucinations, delirium, gangrene, convulsions, and staggering. That could be a pretty compelling sight if the creature in question were a multi-ton dinosaur.
The findings and analysis surrounding the amber fossil are published in the journal Paleodiversity, by researchers from OSU, the United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Survey, and Germany.
The largely untold side to this story is that of mom-and-pop marijuana businesses, serving seriously ill patients, that are seen as “the competition” and are thus slated for extinction by greedy I-502 interests. Supporters of “folding” medical marijuana into the recreational system claim that safe access would be unaffected by suddenly doubling, tripling or quadrupling the price patients have to pay, even while reducing the number of safe access outlets in Seattle, for instance, from about 200 to about half a dozen.
By Cheri Sicard
“We hope you go home soon Larry.”
These are words Larry Duke, serving two life sentences without possibility of parole for a nonviolent marijuana offense, hears from the most unlikely of sources… the federal prison guards who are paid to keep the 68-year-old grandfather incarcerated.
It’s easy to understand why even the prison guards would be on Larry Duke’s side. When you get to know the man even a little bit, the colossal waste of his incarceration becomes readily apparent.
A decorated combat veteran of the Viet Nam war, the assassination of John F. Kennedy prompted Duke to quit high school in his senior year and join the Marines, where he served with Delta Company 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, 1965-1966, before being honorably discharged. Read Full Article →
U.S. House Representative Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) and eight bipartisan Congressional cosponsors on Tuesday introduced the “Veterans Equal Access Act,” marking a concerted federal effort to allow our country’s veterans to become medical marijuana patients in states where it’s legal.
The bill, which is modeled after similar legislation introduced in November, would simply allow Veterans Affairs (VA) physicians to discuss and recommend medical marijuana to their patients, a right enjoyed by physicians outside of the VA system.
“Post traumatic stress and traumatic brain injury can be more damaging and harmful than injuries that are visible from the outside,” said Rep. Blumenauer in a prepared statement. “And they can have a devastating effect on a veteran’s family. We should be allowing these wounded veterans access to the medicine that will help them survive and thrive, including medical marijuana — not treating them like criminals and forcing them into the shadows. It’s shameful.”
Toke Signals TV
Toke Signals Radio
Produced by Indie Media Weekly
Select a Category
Tagsactivism california cancer cannabinoids cbd colorado DEA dispensaries dpa drug enforcement administration drug policy alliance florida hemp hemp news I-502 itunes legalization libsyn liquor control board marijuana policy project medical marijuana mpp news norml podcast prohibition reefer madness ron marczyk schedule I seattle sharon letts Steve Elliott stitcher THC toke radio toke signals toke signals radio toke signals tv toke tv video blog vlog war on drugs washington state worth repeating youtube
- Colorado: Sensible Asset Forfeiture Proposal Fails In Senate February 27, 2015
- Utah: Medical Marijuana Bill Moving Forward February 27, 2015
- U.S.: National Cannabis Industry Association Presenting Cultivation Symposium March 16-18 February 27, 2015
- U.S.: Company Announces Pure CBD Available To The Public February 27, 2015
- Toke TV 76: Legal Marijuana In Nation’s Capital! Free Weed For Low Income Canadian Patients! Wasilla Responds To Legalization By Outlawing Pot Brownies!
- Toke TV 75: Pot Doesn’t Increase Car Crashes! Drug Czar Is Recovering Alcoholic! 100 Tribes Look At Marijuana Business!
- Police Raid Family Over Suspected ‘Meth Lab’ — It Was Maple Syrup
- LSD Fungus Evolved Along With Human Race
Toke Signals biggest hits of the week.
- Toke TV 76: Legal Marijuana In Nation’s Capital! Free Weed For Low Income Canadian Patients! Wasilla Responds To Legalization By Outlawing Pot Brownies! 0 comments | by Steve Elliott
- Cannabis: Drink Your Medicine! A Poor Man’s Guide to Juicing 2 comments | by Sharon Letts
- Hash Oil Safety: Don’t Become Another Statistic 1 comment | by Jeremy Webb
- Worth Repeating: Cannabinoids Kill Pancreatic Cancer Cells 1 comment | by Ron Marczyk
- Congress Looks At Expanding Medical Marijuana Access For Veterans 2 comments | by Steve Elliott
- Police Raid Family Over Suspected ‘Meth Lab’ — It Was Maple Syrup 0 comments | by Steve Elliott
- Spice and K2 Dangerous For Kidneys: Report 0 comments | by Steve Elliott
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
Order your signed copy of The Little Black Book of Marijuana: The Essential Guide to the World of Cannabis, today!
Toke Signals runs on Blue Host. Support us by using our affiliate link for your hosting purchase at Blue Host.
Friends of Toke Signals
- Alabama Medical Marijuana Coalition
- Americans for Safe Access (ASA)
- Beyond Chronic: Medical Cannabis Information You Can Trust
- Cannabis N.I.: Northern Ireland
- Colorado Cannabis Blog
- Drug Policy Alliance (DPA)
- Hemp CT
- Hemp News
- Indie Media Weekly
- Jay Selthofner, Citizen Activist
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
- Lawmen Protecting Patients
- Marijuana Policy Project (MPP)
- Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- Narco Polo: Defending Recreational Drug Use
- November Coalition
- Oregon Cannabis Connection
- PeterMcWilliams.org: A Tribute to Peter McWilliams
- Reality Catcher
- Regina Garson's Blog
- Students for Sensible Drug Policy
- The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation – THCF Medical Clinics
- The Safety Meeting with IAmSafeTDriver