By Heather Hjorth
“They don’t dress like us – they wear suits and kinda gangsta”
~ a comment from a pot prohibitionist at Tuesday’s meeting in Kittitas County, Washington State, as reported from the Kittitas Cannabis Alliance Facebook Page
[Note: I did wear a suit to the meeting as a show of respect because I planned to address the board. ~ Heather]
A citizen’s board waded through a full agenda before getting to a discussion of proposed changes to zoning laws which could effectively ban cannabis production and processing in Kittitas County, Washington. Unfortunately, rational presentation and identification of relevant issues was precluded by the tone of the evening.
Citizens from SOARS (Save our Agricultural and Rural Spaces) were out in quantity, with an informational board, flyers, signature sheets and stickers for attendees set up outside the armory. SOARS represents a varied group of anti-cannabis activists whose concerns range from economic (Timothy Hay) to moral (remember Reefer Madness?). Read Full Article →
But I was nonetheless intrigued when an Ideal 420 Soil representative offered to send me a sample bag of their growing medium to try. At that point, I had no excuse; I had to ask myself, “What’s the harm in giving it the once through?”
“We cover the science of soil, so growers can focus on what truly matters: the plants themselves,” Ideal 420 Soil tells us. “Our product has been perfectly balanced in its elemental ratios; therefore, nothing but water is needed or necessary. In fact, we kindly ask that you allow the system to thrive by not adding any outside products.”
‘Florida does not need Cheryl Shuman to come into this state.’
~ Irv Rosenfeld
Cheryl Shuman, the self-styled “Martha Stewart of marijuana” who runs the Beverly Hills Cannabis Club and reportedly sells $750 ounces, has announced she’s starting a marijuana super PAC (political action committee) to join the campaign medical marijuana in Florida. But some leaders of the Sunshine State’s medical marijuana community, including federal patient Irvin Rosenfeld, are less than enthusiastic to have her “help.”
Shuman bragged to Broward Palm Beach New Times reporter Allie Conti about her star-studded Beverly Hills clientele, including “celebrities like Justin Timberlake,” and other clients who are “people who cannot go to dispensaries or be exposed as a pothead,” Shuman claimed (and here we were thinking they were medical marijuana patients, but what do we know).
The Beverly Hills blond is ambitious; in fact, she says she wants her company to become the Mercedes of marijuana, and she sees passage of Florida’s Amendment 2 as one step toward her goal. But does she care about patients, and the other activists who are fighting for safe access? That may be a different matter entirely.
Toke Signals Radio
Produced by Indie Media Weekly
Toke Signals TV
- Visit us at Indie Media Weekly.com for more ways to listen, station details and schedule.
Select a Category
Tagsactivism california cancer cannabinoids cbd colorado DEA dispensaries dpa drug enforcement administration drug policy alliance florida hemp hemp news I-502 itunes legalization libsyn liquor control board marijuana policy project medical marijuana mpp news norml podcast prohibition reefer madness ron marczyk schedule I seattle sharon letts Steve Elliott stitcher THC toke radio toke signals toke signals radio toke signals tv toke tv video blog vlog war on drugs washington state worth repeating youtube
- U.S.: Ganjapreneur Now Accepting Marijuana Job Postings October 22, 2014
- Michigan: Companies Team Up To Deliver Terpene-Infused Hemp CBD Products October 22, 2014
- U.S.: Two-Thirds of Americans Believe Benefits of Medical Marijuana Outweigh Risks October 22, 2014
- California: Police Raids on Medical Marijuana Gardens Cut Off Treatment For Kids With Epilepsy October 22, 2014
- Toke TV 61: Vote Medical Marijuana! Labor Endorses Legalization! Australia Plans National Clinical Cannabis Trial!
- Toke TV 60: Researcher Claims Pot Causes Mental Disorders! Basque Parliament Endorses Cannabis Clubs! Morocco Considers Legalization!
- Kittitas County, Washington Pot Prohibitionists Snicker At Cannabis Farmers
- Toke TV 59: Will Washington Harvest Lower Prices? Study Refutes MMJ Abuse In Cali! Maryland Decrim Takes Effect!
Toke Signals biggest hits of the week.
- Toke TV 60: Researcher Claims Pot Causes Mental Disorders! Basque Parliament Endorses Cannabis Clubs! Morocco Considers Legalization! 3 comments | by Steve Elliott
- Making Medicine: Cannabis Infused Honey Tincture 3 comments | by Sharon Letts
- Parents: THCA Tincture Works Just As Well As CBD For Pediatric Seizures. Here’s How To Make It. 1 comment | by Steve Elliott
- LED Grow Lights Make Growing Marijuana Easy — Or Do They? 3 comments | by Steve Elliott
- Dank Tanks: Convenient, Potent Cannabis Extracts For Your Vape Pen 6 comments | by Steve Elliott
- Worth Repeating: It’s Official! Cannabinoids Kill All Types of Cancer 1 comment | by Ron Marczyk
- Hash Oil Safety: Don’t Become Another Statistic 0 comments | by Jeremy Webb
Order your signed copy of The Little Black Book of Marijuana: The Essential Guide to the World of Cannabis, today!
Toke Signals runs on Blue Host. Support us by using our affiliate link for your hosting purchase at Blue Host.
Friends of Toke Signals
- Alabama Medical Marijuana Coalition
- Americans for Safe Access (ASA)
- Beyond Chronic: Medical Cannabis Information You Can Trust
- Cannabis N.I.: Northern Ireland
- Colorado Cannabis Blog
- Drug Policy Alliance (DPA)
- Hemp CT
- Hemp News
- Indie Media Weekly
- Jay Selthofner, Citizen Activist
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
- Lawmen Protecting Patients
- Marijuana Policy Project (MPP)
- Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- Narco Polo: Defending Recreational Drug Use
- November Coalition
- Oregon Cannabis Connection
- PeterMcWilliams.org: A Tribute to Peter McWilliams
- Reality Catcher
- Regina Garson's Blog
- Students for Sensible Drug Policy
- The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation – THCF Medical Clinics
- The Safety Meeting with IAmSafeTDriver